HOLD THE CINNAMON! You NEED to set a couple hours of your day aside and make these BIRTHDAY cake rolls ASAP! These are the perfect cross between traditional cinnamon rolls and birthday cake because we used cake mix inside the dough.
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white cake mix
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 packet of instant yeast
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- Food coloring of choice (optional)
- 1/4 cup softened salted butter
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp milk or half and half
WHAT TO DO:
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, cake mix and yeast then set aside. In another bowl combine butter, sugar and milk then microwave for 90 seconds.
2. Attach the stand dough hook and turn to medium speed. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture in 3 intervals. Add in your beaten egg also in 3 intervals. Continue mixing on medium speed until the dough forms and comes off the edges of the stand bowl.
3. Bring the dough together with your hands and cover with plastic wrap for about 10-15 minutes.
4. Preheat your oven to 200F. In a bowl add your filling ingredients and mix until well combined.
5. Flour your surface and begin to roll out the dough into a large rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
6. Add your sprinkles and roll into the dough. Flip the dough over and add sprinkles and roll into dough again.
7. Spread your filling on to the dough leaving about 1 inch from the edges of the rectangle clear to help seal your dough.
8. Horizontally roll the dough and cut the two corners off and discard. Cut the log into pieces depending how thick you want them (they will rise). We made 8 large rolls.
9. Place your rolls into a greased 8×8 or 9×9 pan.
10. Turn the oven off (yes OFF), cover with aluminum foil and place the rolls into the oven for 30-40 minutes (this is so they rise more before baking).
11. Remove the pan from the oven and the foil from the pan then turn the oven on to 350F. Place the rolls back in and bake uncovered for 35 minutes.
12. Allow to cool 10-15 minutes before icing and decorating.
To see the video process click here!