Level up your baking game with our homemade Twinkies! These came out so light and airy representing those delicious creme filled cakes we all love!
1 cup flour
3/4 cup cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 egg yolk
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup room temp butter
4 oz cool whip
4oz marshmallow creme or fluff
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. In a small bowl beat the egg whites and cream of tartar to stiff peaks. Set aside in the fridge.
3. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt then set aside.
4. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add your eggs, egg yolk and vanilla. Beat for a few minutes until creamy (it’s okay if there’s lumps).
5. Add half the dry mixture and combine. Then add the milk and remaining dry mixture and combine again.
6. Once fully combined, in two intervals FOLD in the two whipped egg whites. Once well folded in, pour into the baking pan cavities about 3/4 of the way.
7. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. In a small bowl combine the filling ingredients and add to a piping bag.
8. Once the twinkies are cool, poke 3 holes into the bottom of each. Fill each hole with the filling. Remove any excess.
To see the video on how we made them, click here!