Our next childhood throwback recipe is the famous Hostess/Little Debbie creme filled chocolate cupcakes. The perfect texture and flavor profile of those delicious chocolate creme cupcakes we all love. Who remembers and how did we do?
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup marshmallow creme or fluff
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4-1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp heavy cream
1. Preheat your oven to 310F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk, vegetable oil, egg, sugar, vanilla, and hot water.
3. Sift in the two types of flours, salt, baking soda and cocoa powder. Mix until smooth.
4. Fill your cupcake tins about halfway. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool down.
5. Make the filling by whipping the heavy cream until stiff peaks form then add the marshmallow creme in and whisk until combined. Pour into a piping bag or ziplock bag
6. Core the center of your cupcakes leaving a small space of cupcake at the bottom. Fill the hole with the marshmallow filling and top with the removed cupcake piece.
7. Make your ganache by microwaving for about 30 seconds the heavy cream and chocolate chips.
8. Dip the cupcakes into the ganache and allow to dry or (pop in the freezer for 10 min).
9. Make your icing by combining the two ingredients and design the top of your cupcakes in “loops”.
Check out the how to video here!